The Association of Pallet Networks (APN) has released a poster detailing best practice when it comes to presenting your freight for warehousing and distribution. The list below details everything from safety aspects to correct labelling.
How do your pallets measure up?
1 Pallet quality – ‘Fit for purpose’
- Pallets must be suitable for the product.
- Pallet bases should be in good condition.
- Pallet slats and blocks should be in good condition.
- Ensure that there are no protruding nails.
- Consider using cardboard to cover the pallet base
2 Secure freight to pallet
- Ensure that all freight is securely banded or wrapped to pallet base.
- The product must not overhang the pallet.
- Ensure product inner packaging is appropriate for transportation.
- Stack the load properly so that it ‘interlocks’.
3 Ensure that an accurate consignment weight is declared
4 Consider the ‘centre of gravity’ of loads and label accordingly
5 Label consignments clearly with delivery destination
- To ensure compliance
- Prevent delivery lead-time delays
- Ensure quality assurance
- Ensure safety assurance