These days a search for pallet storage may be more likely to bring up images of book or shoe storage hacks on Pinterest but these are just the byproducts of freight and transport processes. Original pallet storage is far more interesting. In fact, the goods you buy depend on it.
Find out all you need to know about pallet storage – rates, locations, benefits, FAQs – in our comprehensive guide.
- What is pallet storage?
- When to store your goods
- Benefits of pallet storage
- A guide to pallet storage rates – how costs are calculated
- Where to store palletised goods in the UK
- IFL’s pallet storage solution
- Frequently asked questions
- Book pallet storage
What is pallet storage?
Products ranging from the tiniest components to large, bulky single items are palletised every day and sent all over the world. At some point in their journey to customers, they may be stored for a few hours – or a few months – in warehouses. Last year, a report from the UK Warehousing Association (UKWA) counted nearly 2,000 storage and distribution units across the UK – up 32% over six years (with the need for space still growing).
Goods arrive into the warehouse, are offloaded from containers and then stacked or stored on pallet racking ready for onward distribution. The cargo may also be picked, repackaged and forwarded on to customers in the UK or EU or beyond.
>>Find out more: Getting pallets to/from the UK and Europe
When to store your goods
The ebb and flow of logistics means that businesses need extra warehouse storage all the time and for all kinds of reasons.
- Renting warehouse space allows businesses, especially those dealing in import-export, to create a local base from which to distribute goods to customers more quickly.
- A business may need temporary storage space because its own current facilities are full.
- Warehousing and storage can help you navigate disruption and keep customers supplied – pallet storage soared during Brexit and since Covid-19, as businesses navigated supply chain shortages, a global shipping capacity crunch and delayed deliveries.
>>Find out more: Renting warehouse space and warehouse logistics
Benefits of warehouse storage
With pallet storage rates typically varying from £1.50 to £5 per pallet per week, it can be relatively cheap for businesses to rent warehouse space for their goods.
The key benefits of pallet storage are:
- cost-effective way to reduce overheads or employ third-party logistics (3PL) services
- flexibility to respond to seasonal peaks
- business agility as not tied into any long leasehold
- local/long-term storage base for next-day delivery to e-commerce customers
- helps ease supply chain issues
- smoother distribution by redistributing goods using experienced warehouse operatives
A guide to pallet storage rates – how costs are calculated
Warehousing costs are based on a number of factors, and whether additional services are required, such as insurance, distribution and labelling. The cheapest pallet storage rates start from £1.50 per pallet per week but can vary significantly and are calculated depending on:
- storage location
- how many pallets you wish to store
- pallet size – height and weight
- ability to stack freestanding goods
- number of SKUs (stock keeping units)
- any specialist requirements (eg, cold storage)
- hazardous content
There may be other ways to secure lower pallet storage rates:
Firstly, storing goods on long-term contracts will often open up cheaper warehouse storage rates.
Secondly, look out also for temporary short-term deals as space suddenly becomes available, and check that prices include handling into and out of store.
Thirdly, members of the Palletways pallet freight network offer a larger 1.2m x 1.2m pallet size as standard, which makes pallet storage and distribution more cost-effective than the 1m x 1.2m standard pallet size.
Where to store palletised goods in the UK
Many businesses will want to store goods within easy access of their customers or onward transportation. If you don’t need a specific location, you can search for cheaper options that offer easy transport access.
Many transport and storage businesses are located in the middle of the UK for this very reason. For example, the Midlands is home to the “golden logistics triangle” – an area within a four-hour drive of 90% of the British population. The area covers 289 square miles in the West Midlands, which is around half the size of London. Birmingham, alone, has 2,500 premises occupied by transport and storage (source: Office for National Statistics, 2022).
>> Find out more: Freight and logistics in Birmingham and the West Midlands
IFL’s pallet storage solution
As a leading UK independent freight forwarder, Birmingham-based International Forwarding (IFL) has been offering pallet delivery and storage services across the UK and Europe for more than 30 years. We’ve also built up a significant warehousing base in the Midlands to serve our clients, particularly those with a base or market in Birmingham and West Midlands.
Our three large warehouse facilities in the Birmingham area are:
Coleshill – two large storage facilities encompassing 4,000 sq m (43,000 sq ft).
Garretts Green – our newest warehouse is over 9,290 sq m (100,000 sq ft) with storage capacity for over 10,000 pallets.
All warehouses are located within easy reach of Birmingham city centre, the UK motorway network (M6 and M42) and Birmingham International Airport. Each storage facility is fully alarmed with CCTV monitoring for added security.
IFL is also one of 800+ member of the UK Warehousing Association – a leading trade organisation for the logistics sector. The UKWA helps its members operate safely, ethically and profitably, safeguard industry standards and also represents their views to government.
Key pallet storage services
Our warehousing services include:
- Bulk storage and flexible 3PL solutions
- Experienced cargo handling
- Container offloading and de-stuffing
- Consignment splitting, relabelling and rebranding
- Pick and pack operations
- Pallet storage
- Pallet picking
- Stock inventory and KPI management
- Full integration with our transport fleet
- Local industry expertise includes manufacturing, engineering, automotive, FMCG, pharmaceuticals/medical, telecoms and more
Onward distribution is available with modern vehicles that are compliant with the Birmingham Clear Air Zone (CAZ).
Frequently asked questions
Pallet storage rates typically vary from £1.50 to £5 per pallet per week but there are a few variables that can make it cheaper or more expensive. The best thing to do is to get in touch to discuss needs and obtain a quick quote.
You can book a pallet collection in a number of ways:
We’ll need some information on how many pallets, size/weight, product type, location and speed of delivery. Once the job is booked, we’ll arrange to collect and deliver your consignment. For more complex collections, get in touch to discuss your needs.
>> Read more about our pallet collection services
Customers can inspect stock during normal working hours and at other times by prior arrangement and under health and safety requirements. We offer a bespoke inventory control electronic reporting system which updates automatically as stock is added or leaves the inventory. The system is web-based giving the client 24-hour access to stocks held.
There are no time restrictions. We offer long-term contracts at highly competitive rates but also short-term deals subject to warehouse space availability.
Goods exceeding 6m length and 2,500kg individual weight are subject to special arrangements.
We can store all types of general cargo except foodstuff items and goods requiring temperature control, as these require BRC (British Retail Consortium) accreditation.
We also do not store hazardous goods as these require a special licence.